Skip to content

City To Clean Up Bad Debts

(Editor’s Note: The following account of the June 9 Monticello City Council regular meeting was mistakenly left out of last week’s newspaper, and is printed here. I apologize for any problems caused by the delay.)

For quite some time the Monticello City Council has been discussing how to collect approximately $500,000 in bad debts dating back to 2005.

Action was finally taken Tuesday, June 9, during their regular monthly meeting when the council voted unanimously to sign a contract with Penn Credit Corporation to begin collecting the debt for them.

According to City Manager Bob Schwartz, one of the problems with the existing contract is that On-Line Collections required the submission of social security numbers for all accounts turned over to them for collection, and also demanded a 35 percent fee of the collections.

The approved contract does not require social security numbers and the fee is 16.5 percent of accounts under two years old and 19 percent for accounts over two years old. Mr. Schwartz indicated the intent is to start with the most recent uncollectables and work back through the file.

In his report to the council, Mr. Schwartz reported a purchase order had been issued for $20,594 for a storm warning siren. The grant money available for the system came to $30,000, which left enough funds to install the system. Delivery is expected in 10 weeks.

He also reported that next month changes will be made on how to pay utilities, which will include payment by credit card and a credit card machine will be available in the front office, and also that other changes will be made bit by bit.

In addition, he reported the Jasper County Solid Waste Committee continues to meet and a proposal is expected by this Friday.

Mr. Schwartz further reported a public hearing on the new budget has been scheduled for Tuesday, June 16 at 7 p.m., and a meeting to adopt the budget has tentatively been scheduled for Tuesday, June 23.

Monticello Police Chief Bud Smith reported his department responded to 561 calls for service during May, issued 130 citations and received $18,252 in fines and forfeitures.

Under the Consent Agenda the council unanimously approved the payables, and also the Water/Sewer Draw down for Carter and Sloope in the amount of $5,742 and Rehab Construction Company in the amount of $118,052.

Under Old Business, Walt Harold was nominated and approved to fill the vacancy on the Planning Committee, and a donation by Woodmen Of The World was approved for a flagpole, flag and plaque to the city in memory of 9/11.

Under New Business the appointment to fill three vacancies on the Downtown Development Authority was tabled, however Councilwoman Katherine Alexander was elected to serve as the Council Representative.

Also, Councilwoman Mollie Pompey and Ms. Alexander were approved to serve as voting delegates to MEAG.

The annual agreement with the Chamber of Commerce was tabled until the regular scheduled meeting in July.

At the end of the meeting Council Comments included Ms. Alexander saying she would like to extend condolences to the Tillman family; Councilman Bryan Standiffer said a lot of good things are happening in the city even though we are having to make tough budget decisions, but that there would be better days; Mayor Pro Tem Russell Gross complimented David Dyer on the Market Festival on The Square, and said Milledgeville is using it as a model for their own program;

Ms. Pompey also extended her sympathy to the Tillman family and thanked the council for putting differences aside to conduct a productive meeting; Councilman Bobby Jacobs extended his deepest sympathy to the Tillman family and said he supported the Better Home Town Program.

Mayor Glenn Newsome reported the Natural Resource and Conservation group met today and were invited back for the Market Festival on the Square. He also said his thoughts and prayers went out to the Tillman family, and that he hoped the council would continue to make good decisions for the betterment of the city.

Also, as indicated in the last working meeting, the Downtown Development Authority was to present a written plan to clear up their arrears with the city. The mayor said he had received their report in part and expected the final report next week.

Leave a Comment