City Discusses Improvements
The Monticello City Council had much discussion on furthering city improvements at its regular meeting Tuesday night.
The council began in a work session discussing the continuation of the Short Term Work Program that had previously been for the years 2007-2012. Members of the council received a list of activities that were placed on the list in 2007 and the status of the improvements in increments such as completed, in progress, postponed, etc.
The council had to complete a new list that will be applicable for the years 2013-2017. Some of the items that carried over and were added to the plan included GIS mapping of utilities, planned improvements to city hall building (roof), security improvements in and around city hall, a centralized shop, change of street lights to led, city wide wireless service, planned park improvements, enlarging the industrial park, a city wide evacuation plan, a historic district walking tour, and a city entrance corridor.
The list that was voted on by the council Tuesday will be submitted to the state and can be used for being awarded grants in the upcoming years. Mayor Bryan Standifer informed the citizens that the list is available at City Hall and any citizen with suggestions for the list can contact City Hall by this Friday.
{{more}}
City Manager Tim Sweezey told the council that some previous projects that had lagged behind were beginning again and improvements continued throughout the city. Mr. Sweezey said that the sludge bags are close to being taken care of. These bags are to be removed from the water and sewer plant as ordered by the Environmental Protection Division (EPD), Georgia Department of Natural Resources. He said that the demolition of the building known as the “Duncan building” at the corner of Forsyth and Washington Streets was under way and one of the sidewalk project was “rolling.”
Mayor Standifer said, “I commend the city manager chief and the staff for implementing those policies that we want to do. There is a lot of cleaning up that is going on in and around the city. It’s beautification and makes it a better quality of life for the residents. I want to commend the staff for the diligent work that they are doing.”
In other business the council voted to nominate Mayor Standifer and Mayor Pro tem to serve on the electric cities of Georgia board.
They heard from Police Chief Bobby Norris that the new police cars that were approved needed a bit more paper work but should arrive Monday. The police department will get one patrol car and one Blazer. Mr. Jacobs asked, “why are we getting a Blazer?”
The chief replied, “the price and the availability were right. I compared prices, mileage, condition.”
The council also voted to approve Central Georgia Electric Membership Corporation (EMC) the joint use of power poles and assert the lines from the substation located in the industrial park. There was some discussion as to why EMC needed to use the substation and if their territory grew as a result.
Mr. Sweezey said “the electrical department concurs with this plan.”
Mayor Pro tem Bobby Jacobs asked, “how is that cheaper than letting us provide the power?” Mayor Standifer replied “part of the building is in EMC territory. Before Norton chose Monticello there was a toss-up with jobs vs. electricity. It was the customer’s choice and ultimately the customer [Norton] made the decision.”
He then clarified, “the substation is a MEAG substation and is not owned by the city of Monticello. We buy power from them. MEAG has a deal where they can come in and use the substation and Monticello will get some franchise fees (4 percent) of the power that the facility uses and it also has the benefit of new coils.
“Part of the deal with acquiring the industry was to give them a choice. They wanted to go with a utility company provider.”
Councilwoman Katherine Alexander said, “I think part of the question was that since the building was in their territory why didn’t they come in through their territory. That may have been how I thought that they would bring it in.”
She asked, “after installation, this in no way allows them to come in and acquire more territory?”
Mayor Standifer said, “No. They are only allowed to service what they are servicing now. That was one of the main things that the customer wanted. We presented a very competitive offer with EMC. Talking with Scott Norton-they wanted utilities from a provider.”
“And as Mayor of this city, we have a company that is providing 90 jobs, and we will encompass taxes and franchise fees, growth, etc.”
The council approved the Norton CDBG EIP Grant which is about $500,000 to put in a rail spur. $420,000 will be state money and the city will put in between $80,000-$82,000.
City Clerk Peggy Billerman noted that municipal funds are those that will require action by the council before they can be used.
In other action, the council:
*Voted to table the decision on whether or not Downtown Development had permission to move the RLF account to Hamilton State Bank at the request of Dave Dammann. The council was cautioned on this as they voted on the RLF monies being taken out of that account and with moving the money there will be a delay. It was encouraged that the funds be readily available should they be requested in the near future for the rail spur.
*Councilman Larry Thurman asked about the availability of the funds.
Mrs. Billerman said, “Right now we have to wait for the DDA to take out that money that we just voted on. They have about $150,000 in that account and we have obligated to use $80,000-$82,0000 out of it. We just voted to take money out of there and I might have to write a check next week. So once that money is moved it can be transferred if that is what the council decides.”
*Voted to pass the MEAG 2014 supplemental power policy and the MEAG 2014 Hedging policy. They also voted on the Municipal Competitive Trust drawdown in the amount of $45,344. This is a budgeted, regular drawdown.
